Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Homestead State Income Tax Refund

For a thorough explanation, please see the State of Kansas' Website
The Homestead Refund is a rebate program for the property taxes paid by homeowners and renters. The refund is based on a portion of the property tax paid on a Kansas resident’s homestead. If you own your home, the refund is a percentage of your general property tax. If you rent your home, 15% of the rent paid for occupancy is used as the property tax amount. The maximum refund is $700.
To qualify you must be a Kansas resident, living in Kansas the entire year. Your total household income must be $30,800 or less.
You must also meet one of the following requirements:
  • You were born before January 1, 1956; OR
  • You must have been totally and permanently disabled or blind during the entire year of 2010, regardless of your age; OR
  • You must have had a dependent child living with you all of last year who was born before January 1, 2010, and was under the age of 18 the entire year 2010.
  • You are a disabled veteran (50% or more disability) or the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran who has not remarried or the surviving spouse of an active duty military personnel who died in the line of duty and not remarried.

Homestead Refund Advancement Program

This program provides eligible homeowners with the opportunity to apply a portion of their anticipated Homestead refund to help pay the first half of their property tax.
There is a question on Form K-40H asking the homeowner whether they want their next year’s homestead advancement sent directly to their County Treasurer. If the box is checked on the 2010 K-40H, the 2011 homestead advancement will be sent directly from Kansas Department of Revenue to the County Treasurer. This eliminates the need for the homestead claimant to physically deliver the homestead eligibility letter to the County Treasurer.
If you do not check this box, you can not participate in the homestead advancement program, and none of your homestead refund will be used to pay your 2010 property taxes.

SAFE SENIOR - Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors

SAFE SENIOR is a property tax refund program administered under the provisions of the Kansas Homestead Act (property tax refund). SAFE SENIOR is also referred to as, "Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors".
The refund is 45% of the 2010 general property tax paid or to be paid - as shown of the 2010 real estate tax statement for the residence in which the claimant lived in 2010. The 2010 property tax consists of the 1st half which is due December 20, 2010 and the 2nd half which is due May 10, 2011. The property tax is the total of both the 1st and 2nd half taxes.
A claimant may receive either a Homestead or a SAFE SENIOR refund but not both.
You must meet all the following requirements for the SAFE SENIOR refund:
  • Kansas resident all of 2010,
  • Owned a home in Kansas during 2010,
  • Aged 65 years or older for all of 2010 (born before January 1, 1945) and
  • "Household income" of $17,500 or less in 2010.
Where can I get help with my Homestead or Safe Senior claim? 
Customers who need help are encouraged to visit the various sections of our website or call the Kansas Tax line at 1-785-368-8222.
The Kansas Department of Revenue also provides free assistance in Topeka, on the first floor of the Docking State Office Building at 915 Southwest Harrison. The state office hours in Topeka are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (VITA) Sites In Kansas

The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $40,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing. To locate the nearest VITA site, or call 1-800-829-1040.

No comments:

Post a Comment